Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Extreme Hiking-Again!

You would think hiking up to the lighthouse would be more than enough hiking for one day but not us. After hiking to the lighthouse we were so suppose to go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. We decided to head down to Jumba Jucie for some fruit smoothies.

As we were headed back towards Hanauma Bay, I noticed what looked like a line going straight up the side of the crater. I thought I saw something moving up the side of the Koko Crater. I had Leroy pull the car over at the secnic point and he also confirmed what I thought. It looked like tiny creatures moving up the side of the crater but in fact it was people.

Upon, closer look we realized that people were hiking up stairs made from old railroad ties which had been abandoned long ago. The incline tram formerly used by the military to transport personnel and supplies to a lookout post on the summit. Today, the ascent to the top is popular with locals, many of who climb the 1,000 plus "steps" for a good workout. For some reason the gazillion tourists who drive by Koko Head every day are oblivious to the adventure and reward of climbing this imposing crater summit with its fantastic views.

We didn't know how to get there but we managed to go thru a subdivision that ended at a park. Several people around us were headed up to this trail and we followed behind. This trail wasn't marked.

The hike up wasn't easy...I was huffing and puffing all the way up to the top. You will see in all the pictures. I'm bright red in the face. The hike up is super hard. Straight up. The hike is so scary but the view from the top is sooooo amazing. I felt like I was on top of the world.

The hike is close to 1058 steps to the top and back down. One mile up and one mile down. It feels like ten miles at the end. My legs at the end of the hike were shaking so bad from muscle fatige. It was so bad.

Leroy and I looked back up at the bottom of the stairs and we're so impressed without selves. Leroy was ready to kill me but I know deep down he enjoyed it. I have way more stamia than he does plus he wasn't feelin that good. I'm very happy that my hubby is willing to go along with all of my crazy adventures.

No comments: