Saturday, February 27, 2010
Friday, February 26, 2010
Due to schedule conflicts...I decided to attend Landon's concert dress rehearsal. If you watch the video...his in the front row with a red shirt. I thought it was strange he wasn't wearing a cooper t-shirt like all the other kids.
Landon did a really good job but he refused to sing. Leroy said at the evening show that he did sing. After the dress rehearsal, we went up to tell him he did a good job. Well...tears started to come out of his eyes because he didn't receive a t-shirt. Well, I headed off to look for his teacher to figure out what happen.
Landon's teacher claim she never received his order form or money for the t-shirt. I couldn't believe it. I remember filling out the paper work and putting the money in an envelope to take to school. Landon decided to use is own money to buy the t-shirt. I couldn't figure out...how the money didn't make to his teacher.
Landon's teacher said she had never seen Landon so upset before at school. She felt really bad about him not getting a shirt. So, she gave him her t-shirt to wear to the concert. Well, the t-shirt ended up going all the day down to the floor but Landon was happy:}
Well, I started to think about it. Where did the money go? I had a moment and decided to check his backpack. Landon found the envelope in the bottom of his backpack. Somehow, it managed to fall out of his folder and Landon didn't realize it.
So, I had Landon before the concert give back his teacher's t-shirt and Landon wore his black sweatshirt to the concert.
Lesson learned...make sure to email teacher to make sure she received the money.
Here's a short video from concert.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
It feels good to be sewing again...
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
2. Last week, the weather warmed up for a couple of days. I decided it was a good opportunity to get the yard clean up. I spented six hours on the first day working on front yard and the next two days on the back and side yard. Unforuently, the weather has turned cold again. So, no yard until the weather changes. We are expected to receive a wintery mix by the end the week. I can't wait for spring.
3. As I mention earlier...the kids are crazy about puzzles. I decided to pick up a couple of sets of puzzles to keep the kids busy. They haven't even watch a single movie in three days. I didn't realize how much Logan loves to do puzzles. I ended up driving around to three different second shops looking for used kids puzzle. I was only able to find one for two dollars it was a really nice Melissa and Doug puzzle which is the only brand I like to buy for my kids. I finally throw in the towel and we headed over to the educational store and pick up two more puzzles which were overpriced but I'm desperate. The kids could spend all day working on puzzles.
4. I haven't blog to much lately. Seriously, no inspiration. I picked up a ton of books from the library but I couldn't come up with any good ideas. So, we are stilling with puzzles until I get my creative juices flowing again.
5. Just recieved Logan's kindergarten packet...I still can't believe he will be going to big kids school in the fall. I'm trying to enjoy everyday with my little guy. Once they go to school everything changes. I just wish he could stay little forever.
6. On the way home from Gymnastics...Logan announced he need to use the bathroom. I ask him if he could wait or if he wanted to go pee outside. He told me to pull over fast. Luckily, it was dark outside and he did his business. I told him next time to use the bathroom at the gym.
7. Landon has his first concert this Thursday...which happens to be the same time as enrichment. I'm incharge of the dinner. Opps...I'm planning on attending both events. It should be a crazy evening.
8. I'm still running...Last Sat. I managed to hit a crack with my shoe and I ended up falling down. I thought I would have a huge bruise but I managed to run away with a scratch. When running it's important to watch where your running.
9. Also, Logan can make his own bed...yippee...I don't have to help him anymore.
10. Leah's still being Leah...I still feel like I got jipped on the girl thing. She's all tomboy. I don't have to worry about her...the little girl can still put up a good fight.
Friday, February 19, 2010
I decided to bite the bullet and try to be more realistic with my plans. I'm going to try square foot gardening. I'm going to make either two or four beds. Getting enough sun light is my biggest problem plus house sitting on top of a hill doesn't help. Lots of challenges maybe I should turn my postage stamp front yard into square foot gardening beds?
Okay...here's the plan!
Bush grean beens-Derby by park seed!
Cucumbers-Eureaka Hybird-park seed.
peppers-Park's Whopper Improved hybird-park seed.
Tomatoes Roma-park seed.
Squash and zuchinni from walmart!
I'm going to make square foot garden beds.
4-2x8x4 pine wood pieces
5/16 x3 inches lag bolts and washers
vinyle strips-edging to make the gird
I'm going to use Mel's mix for the soil to use to grow my plants.
I just now need to figure out where to put my bed. I'm going to use my old gardening spot for growing flowers.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
2. The Valentine's Day bean bag game is still holding up. After two parties...I thought for sure it would of fallen apart at this point. Leah had fun showing Grandma Scheele how to throw the bean bags into the box.
3. Grandma Scheele came over Sat. night to watch the kids. Leroy and I decided to get dress up and go out to eat for dinner. Leroy decided to take me to a new Italian resturarate but nothing sounded good so we decided to leave and head over to Red Lobster. Well, we spent 30 minutes at the first resturatian, 45 minutes waiting at Red Lobster which turned out fine waiting becuase I wasn't even hungry when we left to go out to eat. We ended up being seated in the bar area which weren't too happy about. It wasn't long and we had random people seating right next to us and on the chairs across our table. Red lobester was packed. The manager felt bad about it. They eventaully asked everyone to move. They gave us free cheesecake and cokes. Leroy's lobster was overcooked so they brought us out a take home box with some fresh cook lobster. It turned out super yummy. So, a crazy and strange evening turned out great in the end.
4. Saturday...I went back to Hobbs State Park for more training. I learned all about soil, kaurst (which are limestone caves and sink holes), and how early settlers used the local landscape. It was all very interesting.
5. I also learned whats in our drinking watering after its been treated. It's a really long and gross list of items everything from prescription drugs, pesticides, detergents, and a ton of other stuff.
6. I decided to get back into running. I have managed to get a lot of running in. I'm really looking for the weather to warm up. It's not fun to run in the cold. My legs are literally frozen by the end of my runs.
7. Leah still claims she's not a young ladies. This is Leah "I'm not a lady...I'm Eh(Leah)" She still has a hard time with her "L"sounds.
8. We're done painting the downstairs room.
9. The weather is still freezing cold outside. We had a lot of snow flurries but nothing is sticking to the ground. We're expected in a couple of days for the weather to warm up to 50 degrees.
10. This week...I'm trying to stick close to home and get the house clean up. I did managed to pull out the stove and fridge. Everything is now nice clean. You can't image how much dirt you will find under both of those applicances.
11. I'm currently to read the BOM in 60 days. I only have 24 more days to go before reaching my goal. Wish me luck. I have never finished reading it in such a short time period. It's hard but it's going to be worth it in the end.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Our Review: We enjoyed reading this book as a family. Little Marcia loves to help her mother with her domestic duties around the house. Little Marcia tries to cook for the family; but fails at it miserably. Her mother ends up hiring Fannie Farmers to be her mother's helper. Marcia isn't happy about Fannie taking over in the kitchen until Marcia declares that Fannie's blueberry pies sweeter than a summer sky. Fannie ends up writing a notebook full of tips on how to cook in order to teach Marcia. Well, she tries to bake a cook but ends up failing terribly. I love this part of the book "Cookery is magic, " declared Marcia one day, crunching a hot gingersnap. Fannie shook her head. "Preparing food well isn't magic. It's an art and a science that anyone can learn." Fannie shows Marcia how to follow precise measurements in order to bake and cook delicious meals it isn't magic but science. The illustrations in the book are hilarious. In one scene Marcia's mother is licking her plate clean of the cake that Marcia made following Fannie's recipe. Also, what I loved best it teaches kids about historical person from the 19th century and how the first cookbook came about.
The best part of this book is the griddle cakes recipe at the back of the book. Important note...what Fannie calls griddle cakes are what we call them pancakes now. I didn't realize at the time that the book ends with a recipe. The kids couldn't wait to get started. If you follow her recipe precisely you will end up with the best tasting ever pancakes.
Remember baking is a precise science...follow her instructions and you can't mess this up.
Fannie Farmer's Famous Griddle Cakes
Thursday, February 11, 2010
I decided to break up the kids into three different groups and rotate them between three different stations. The first station was for a game called "RED HOT". The kids pass around a heart bean bag that I made and it look super cute. The kids pass the heart around until the music stop. Who ever was left holding the heart was out of the game. To prevent kids from crying. The child left holding the heart was given the special job of holding their eyes closed and pushing the button on the cd player to stop the music. No crying and lots of fun!
I drop off Logan with the bean bag game at the front of the school. Of course, no close parking spots available. Leah and I walked in with several bags full of stuff. I wasn't sure how we were going to get the game inside. This box is huge! Luckily, Maddox's mom noticed Logan standing with the box and offered to help carry it inside for me. Great...Heavenly Father does answer my prayers.
You should of seen the reactions of the kids when we walked into the classroom with the bean bag toss. The kids eyes were about to pop out of their heads. The kids were so excited. Another class was in Landon's classroom due to it being too cold outside for recess. The other students were really sad they were mission out of the party. All of the kids were so like "holy cow" look at that game.
I wore my special apron again. It most of given me special powers becuase I wore it last week to enrichment when I taught my treat class. Leah was wearing her apron that I made her. No, we don't have matching aprons. I'm not that kind of mom. I don't like to dress like my kids. Anyways, I recieved a lot of compliments about the aprons.
All of the moms were awesome in helping me with the party. There's no way I could of done it by myself. Oh, I ended up with a ton of food. I was really surprised. I thought all we would pass out were cupcakes but we had cookies, more cookies, brownies, and cupcakes. It was sugar overload. The only bad part is one of the parents forgot to send in the v-day supplies. Luckily, his teacher had some leftover from the last class party.
We started off the party by playing three games. The candy count game, red hot (like hot potato) game, and Bean Bag Toss game. Landon ended up winning that game. I was so shocked when the mom handed me the winning slip and it had Landon's name. He guess 300 and the correct amount was 376!
All of the games were a huge success. The bean bag game was the biggest hit. You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a fun game. The kids were so cute to watch.
I decided after playing games it would be best to read a book to the kids to try to get them to calm down. I read to them my favorite v-day book called "One Zillion Valentines" by Frank Modell. I was surprised when the kids said they had never heard of the book before. I was so nervous. I think I turned bright red. I was so nervous. I was trying to read it loud enough for the kids and Logan kept wanting to lean on me. But at the end it was all worth. A little girl in the class came up to me and told me that was the best valentine's day book ever. She was so cute about it. Totally made my day. She totally reminded me of myself when I was little.
So, after the book. The kids went around passing out all the cards. The kids had so much fun. We ended up with a ton of food. The kids were so busy passing out their cards that hardly anyone ate any of the food. I guess next time we will ask for less food.
Well, I'm happy to report the party was a complete success. The kids had a blast. I'm not sure what I was stressing about. Landon's teacher was very happy about the whole party. I can't wait to do it again tomorrow with Logan's class party. Expect all I'm doing is the bean bag toss. I will post pictures later on.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
2. I decided to head out this morning for a morning run. Sure enough...hardly any ice. It mostly was all snow. I still don't understand why they didn't delay the start of school becuase all of the roads are now clear. I did managed to run 5 miles going up and down hills without having to stop. I'm thinking about running in half marathon in about a month. I'm going to have to recommitt myself to running. Hopefully, winter will finish up soon. I can't wait for spring.
3. While the weather outside is cloudy and gloomy. We decided to repaint the inside of the house. Three kids equals lots of damage and dirty walls. Leroy and I ended up in a huge fight over paint color. I want some color and he wants tan. It's so boring. I finally decided to give in becuase Leroy's going to be doing all of the work. I guess you have to pick your battles with your husband as well as the kids.
4. I taught my enrichment class last week. I was really nervous but I did it. It really help me to boost my confidence level when it comes to public speaking...not a strong point for me. Everyone loved my treat ideas. I demostated how to make homemade marshmallows, pretzel treats, chocolate dip rice krispie treats, and dipped pretzels.
5. After teaching the class and eating a ton of yummy treats...I managed to gain four pounds. I have already lost 3 of those pounds.
6. While searching Craigslist Leroy found the prefect truck for our family. It's a total red-neck truck it's Ford 350 crew cab truck, 4x4, and it has steps on both sides up the truck. We decided to call it "BIG BLUE". You feel like your inside a semi truck. This truck is HUGE!
7. I'm still working on putting together Landon's class Valentine Day's Party. We're expected to recieve more snow...hopefully, the party wouldn't be cancelled. I'm still waiting for a package to arrive from Californa with the Golf Toss game. If it doesn't come in time...I'm going to have to come up with some else for the kids. Say a prayer!
8. I'm still trying to figure when to take my trip to Chicago. I'm still thinking about going during Spring Break. I really wanted to go up for the Susan G. Komen run but my sister isn't interested in running it with me. I'm still unsure when to go...the weather is so cold. I would hate to go up and find it to be cold weather. I'm a wimp.
9. I watch two good shows online...The first one is called "The Way We Live Now" and "Tess of Duberville". Both of the shows are period pieces and very interesting. Tess is not your typical love story...it's very depressing but very interesting at the same time.
10. Also, I'm thinking about getting my hair dyed. All of my gray hairs are starting to show thru. I can't believe it. I hate to lose my natural color.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
It's starting to snow again.
Huge wet snowflakes...Landon was stuck outside waiting for the bus in the wet rain/snowflakes. I'm still not sure what's going on with the weather but they better not cancel school again.
We had to reschedule enrichment last week due to ice strom and if we have to reschedule again it's going to totally suck.
I just finished making another awesome batch of homemade marshmallows.
I'm still stressing over Landon's Valentine Day's party at the school. I just finished emailing his teacher...she's going to see if she can call a couple of parents to bring treats. I'm afaird my email probably went to junk email file. I really want to do a good job.
We cleaned up the downstairs room. Leroy made me pack up all of scrapbook supplies. Let's be real...I haven't scrapbook in two years. We cleaned up the whole room. We moved the big bookcase upstairs. I'm trying to decided on a paint color. I'm thinking about going with a tan color. I wanted a nice dark brown but Leroy Veto me on that idea. We also moved the computer downstairs to get it out of the way. We're also thinking about remodeling and adding onto the house.
We're also taking part of postcard exchange with 50 other families aross the great U.S.A. I need to get started on our postcards for the state of Arkansas. Each week we will recieve a different postcard for each state over the next 50 weeks. It's going to be a lot of fun!
Not much else is going on...I'm kinda stressed out but I'm working out hard to do with the stress instead of turning to food. My arms are wickedly awesome. Lifting weights is so much fun! You should me lifting over 50 lbs!
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Like I said with their being no school. The kids were stuck again at home. I decided it would be fun to pull together at the last minute a lesson on Valentine's day. I pulled out my two favorite books called One Zillion Valentines and The Valentine Cat. After reading the two books...The kids made their own valentine day cards and we made heart shape valentine cookies.
Book review: One Zillion Valentine's is one of my favorite Valentine book. This book is currently out of print but can be easily found at the library. The book is about two friends that want to buy V-day cards but they don't have any money. They come up with an idea to make their own cards to pass out to family and friends but they end up having so many cards left over that they decide to sell them. The boys take their money to buy a big box of valentine chocolates to share with each other.
Activity: Making homemade valentine cards for family and friends!
Book Review: If you're a cat lover than this book is for you. The story is about a lonely painter that adopts a scare kitten with a special mark on its forehead of a white shape heart. The cat becomes missing but don't worry they end up finding each other in the end. This book is really geared towards kids 5 and up. Be warned this book is very long. Leah loved the pictures in the book but it didn't hold her attention. The boys loved it. Also, the illustrations are AMAZING. I love how the artist did every page in the same four colors, white, black, teal, and red.
I'm currently having computer problems but we made homemade sugar cookies and homemade Valentine Day cards.