Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

1st Baptism Dress

It stinks to be so far away from family, my brother's daughter is getting baptized the end of May. We wouldn't be able to make it to her baptism. So, I asked my brother if I could make her a dress for the big day. I told him that I could either make her a regular dress or I could make her a white one. She decided that she wanted a white one. My brother sent me several pictures of dresses that she liked and I made my own version of the dress.
 
I decided to go ahead and make a practice dress. I found some super cheap fabric at a yard sale and whip up a dress for Leah. I discovered a lot which is why I took the time to make a practice dress. It's not always clear when reading pattern instructions. I did make several mistake but I learned my lesson. The baptism dress turned out beautiful.
 
I'm still surprised that I managed to finish it in less than one day. I dress pattern is called "Gaberilla" and it's pdf pattern. It's made with white satin, lace trim, and tulle. It has a built in petticoat to make it poofy! I hand pleated the sleeves and waistband.
 
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to fit her. He told me that she wore a size 7/8. So, I went with the size 8. It's better to be a little bit big and not too small.
 
I'm really hoping, she will like it. Leah was really bummed when I told her that the dress was not for her but her cousin.
 
So, I guess, when Leah gets baptized in two years that I will probably make her a similar dress.





No comments: