Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Scary Run

Running, it's my life. It's the best way to keep my weight down, it's great therapy, it's fun, I love the way my legs look, and the best part is setting the example for my kids.

I wasn't planning on having Landon run with me this morning. This is one of the fastest 5k courses in the area. I really wanted to bet my time from this spring. Landon begged and begged to come with me. I caved.


Landon hasn't even been training plus the little guy is only eight! I decided to bring him and I'm glad I did. I thought it was going to cost me $25 to enter the race but they didn't charge me because of his age. Yippee!


The only bad part was the weather. BRRRRR, it was super cold not as cold as last year but cold. My toes were frozen and my muscles were stiff. I wasn't sure how things would work out in the end.


The race was hard at first. My legs felt like lead plus I couldn't feel my toes. I wouldn't lie...it sucked big time.


Once, we made it to the one mile marker...I was happy with our pace 9:20. I was really hoping to have a nice strong finish. We must of slowed down a little bit during the second mile because our time was 19:00 at that point. I told Landon the third mile we were going to kick it up a third gear.


As we approached the playground, I looked down at my watch. I started to panic. Oh, no...I'm not going to bet my fastest time. Darrn't...Landon and I took off fast. Landon said he didn't know what happened but his legs went flying to the finish line.


Yes, I crossed the finish line before him by a few seconds. I figured it wouldn't be long and I wouldn't be able keep up with him. The kids a natural.


I finished at 28:20 and Landon finished shortly after me.


The end of it...I learned that running isn't always about me. I'm so glad that I was able to share this experience with Landon.


The only bad part was Landon really wanted to win a door prize. I managed to win $40 dollars in free car washes and Landon didn't get anything. He was so MAD. He told me he didn't want to run in another race with me because I always win a prize. Little kids can be really funny.


Also, I'm so proud of all of my church friends that came out to run. Everyone should be so proud of themselves. Running with friends and son makes me HAPPY.


1 comment:

banananutmeg said...

I can't believe Landon can run a 5K already. You should see if there is a local running team for kids and get him involved. He'd do well.