Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Johnny Appleseed

Canned Applesauce
makes 8 quarts

20 lbs of apples
3 c. of sugar
2 tsp. canning salt
2 TBPS Cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
red food coloring



1. Wash 20 lbs of apples and cut up into smaller pieces.
2. steam/heat 15-20 minutes.


3. Use a Victorian Strainer to strain the apples. Take the apple guts and restrain them thru the strainer.
4. Put the applesauce back on the stove to reheat. Add sugar, spices, salt, and 3-4 red food coloring.
5. Sterilize your jars in the dishwasher and heat up lids in a pot on the stove top.
6. Fill applesauce in hot jars from the dishwasher.
7. Put lids and rings and put the jars in the water bath for total of 20 minutes!
Ta-Dah! The final product! This is not your regular applesauce. It's a little bit like apple pie but it's applesauce. I ended up using mostly red delicious apples which aren't recommend for baking or canning. I felt like I really needed to dress up the flavor of this applesauce. It turned out really good. I'm thinking about entering it in the Benton County Fair. What do you think I should do? I'm afraid all the grandma's will be beat me!
 

No comments: