Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

All About Sciene-Insects!

After doing no school time at home. I found my source of inspiration from this great book called The Icky Bug Counting Book by Jerry Pallotta (Author), Ralph Masiello (Illustrator). I ended up hitting a local resale shop looking for some new clothes for my kids. I stumbled across this awesome book plus a ton of other books. I seriously left with a huge bag of used books in excellent condition! I only paid $1 for this book. Sweet! Yes, I left with all books and no clothes. My kids clothes are getting small on my kids but at least they have books to fuel their brains. Isn't it sad, when you walk into someones home and you don't see any children's books. You know the parents have all the lasted video games and clothes for their children but no books. Seriously, every child should of a library books of their very own.

Ralph Masiello illustrations in this book are incredible. The books literally come to life. The kids had so much fun counting the insects and bugs on each bag. The bugs in this book are unusually and not seen everyday. This make the book even more fun to read. Also, there is a really cool secret at the end of the book. I'm not going to tell you. You need to get the book yourself and figure out ourselves. I will give you a hint. The book counts up to 26! Okay, think about the alphabet backwards.

Great way to help your preschooler with learning how to count!

I picked up this butterfly house kit at walmart last year on clearance for only $5! All year long we have been waiting to grow our own butterflies. We pulled out the mailing card and sent it in to receive our catterpillars. Hopefully, we will get them in a couple of weeks. I will keep you all updated.


I decided it would be great fun to grow so insects! You can pick up these instant insects at Walmart for $2.95. I thought it was kinda expensive but the kids loved it. You just drop one capsule in a bowl of warm water. The kids loved watching the insects grow. A very cool thing about this product is on the back side it has a guide to identify each and every bug.

Waiting....
Watching for something to happen!

After we grew all of the insects. I ended up writing all of the names of the insects on pieces of paper!
Landon and Logan worked on matching up the correct names to the correct insects!


Landon ended up doing an awesome job at classifying each insect. My little guy is growing up so fast. Landon did a great job sounding out each word and matching it up to the correct specimen.







1 comment:

Erica said...

What fun. We have a butterfly house and are waiting until late April to send in our certificate. It's pretty cruddy here weather wise still.

The sponge growing things are always a blast also. But they take forever, I remember them popping opne right away when I was a kid. The ones we have done lately take about a day to fully dissolve lol!