Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Eve Tradition...

Part of the fun of celebrating Christmas is all the wonderful activities and traditions. Every Christmas Eve we make a batch of my great grandmother Locke's Sour Cream Twist. This is one treat I only make once a year. The kids are finally old enough to really help me in the kitchen. This is the original recipe! Now, over the years...I have decided to try different methods of making this recipe. The directions aren't exactly clear.
Sour Cream Twist

1/4 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
3 cups flour
Stir in 3/4 cup sour cream (lukewarm)
3 T. sugar
1/8 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 large egg
2 T. soft butter




Turn dough onto lightly floured board, knead until smooth, roll into a oblong shape, spread with soft butter, sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon. Fold dough in half (press edges together) and cut into 1 inch wide strips. Hold strips at both ends and twist in opposite directions and place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until double. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes.While warm, frost with icing made from the remaining sour cream and powdered sugar (add powdered sugar to sour cream until right consistency)


First tip: I used to kill the yeast every single time I would make this recipe. Not anymore. If I like to get my water straight from the tap. I just turn on the water on the hot side and get it as hot as possible. I put 1/4 cup of water in the mixing bowl and add the yeast. I set the timer for five minutes to make sure the yeast proofs.

Second tip: Also, when mixing the dry ingredients into the wet. I found the dough to be really dry. I just add a couple of teaspoons of warm water to help mix of the dough better using my dough hook on my kitchen Aide Mixer.

Third tip: When it comes to cutting out the strips. I just use my pizza cutter....easy!






Nothing like a Sour Cream Twist screams Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I love those! We are having them for breakfast in the morning.