Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

He did it!

A whole new world just open up for Landon thru the wonders of reading books.
MY BOOK!
I did it!
I did it!
Come and look
At what I’ve done!
I read a book!
When someone wrote it
Long ago
For me to read,
How did he know
That this was the book
I’d take from the shelf
And lie on the floor
And read by myself?
I really read it!
Just like that!
Word by word,
From first to last!
I’m sleeping with
This book in bed,
This first FIRST book
I’ve ever read!
~ David L. Harrison ~
(from Somebody Catch My Homework)
.

My little independent reader.

Yes, Landon read his very first chapter book! Look at the smile on his face...doesn't it reek with confidence. The little guy is so proud of himself!


I decided it was time to challenge Landon to the next step towards becoming an independent reader. I told him he could earn points he could use towards playing on daddy's Wii. He decided right way to take on the challenge.

His very first chapter book called "Night of the Ninjas" from the Magic Tree House book series by Mary Pope Osborne. He read the whole thing in less than two days. He also read the whole book from front to back without any help. He told me that when he came across a word he didn't know he would just sound it out.



I'm so proud of my little guy. This is a huge step. Every day he is growing more and more independent. As soon as he was done reading this book he picked up the next book in the series called "Dinosaures Before Dark." I love that fact he loves books and he loves to read.

2 comments:

Schoen Family said...

Way to go Landon! We are all very proud of you and can't wait to see you again.

Serena said...

Landon, Great Job!!! I am very proud of you!!