Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

WFD-Monday

******This weeks challenge is to cook only with ingredients in my house. I'm really bad about running to the store to pick up stuff for dinner. I will find a recipe and want to make it immediately. My hubby said no more shopping this week. So, I looked into my freezer and found a ham hock. So, I spent some time this morning on the internet and came across this recipe. I'm soaking my own beans. This will be first time for me. Hopefully, I don't mess it up and bean will be soft enough to eat.

White Bean and Ham Soup Recipe

Ingredients
1 lb of white beans - Canellini or Great Northern
2 quarts of water
2-3 lbs of ham shanks (preferred to ham hocks because the shanks have more meat), each shank cut into 2 or 3 sections
1 cup of diced onions
1 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, diced
Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper
Herbes de Provence
Fresh parsley
Method
1 Soak the beans in at least 2 quarts of cold water for about 2 hrs. Drain the water.

2 Put the ham shank pieces in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about an hour. Add the chopped vegetables and beans. Cook for another hour, until the vegetables are soft and the ham meat easily pulls away from the bone.

3 Add several drops of Tabasco to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of herbes de Provence. Serve with a pinch of chopped fresh parsley.

Serves 8.

No comments: