Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Ice Crystals

Back in October, my parents gave Landon a crystal growing kit. It took about two weeks to grow the crystals but for some reason the crystals turned out really small. The little guy was kinda disappointed in the finally product. I came across this idea at Adventures in Education, she has all the steps lined out for you and its so easy, click here for instructions.

Equipment needed:

*Borax
*Quart Size Canning Jars
*String or Thread
*Water
*Popsicle Sticks

I'm not going to go into all the details so make sure to check out the link listed above if you want to make these crystals with your kids. It only takes a few minutes to set up the science experiment. You really can't screw up this up. Even Daddy got into this lesson. You will start to grow crystals within 4 hours but we waited until overnight to give the crystals a chance to grow real nice and big.

This will be our final project for snow and ice unit study. I image the kids will want to make these again another time. If you think you're kids will be exposed to science at school; you're wrong. They spend very little time actually doing anytype of sciene projects both of the kids can't wait to take their crystals to school tomorrow to show their teachers and peers.

We are going to be spending the rest of the year working on ABC's and colors. We have to get Logan ready for "K"...Also, we are headed over to Hobbs nature center this morning to learn all about the Eagles in the area and nature. Can't wait!!!
















2 comments:

Cassie, Jase and Kirsten said...

I was so surprised to come across this! I am so glad you guys grew such wonderful crystals - I was afraid my directions may not have been too well, because I did it all from memory, but they look awesome! Great job!!!

banananutmeg said...

Brilliant! I purchased a huge thing of borax to make slime/flubber with and it didn't work! Now I have a huge box and no clue what to do with it. This is perfect, I think we're going to make heart shaped Valentine decorations with it. thanks.